This website may not work correctly in Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to a more secure modern web browser such as Microsoft Edge which is already installed on your computer.

View this website in Edge.

There are currently no alerts
02 February 2023


Building Approvals

A building permit is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels including garages, patios, sheds, residential dwellings, granny flats, extensions, swimming pools and retaining walls etc. Similarly a demolition permit is required before any demolition works can commence. If the total value of work exceeds $20,000 a permit can only be issued to a registered builder or registered owner builder. Please read through the owner builder application for more information.

Applying for a Building Permit

Anyone can apply for a building permit, the owner, builder, designer, building surveyor or any other person. The applicant provides details of the person responsible for the work, ie the builder, in the application form. The builder takes responsibility for ensuring the construction complies with the applicable building standards and the provisions in the building permit.

There are two types of building permit applications, ‘certified’ and ‘uncertified’. Which ever one applies must be submitted with required information and the fees payable.

Certified Application

A certified application is accompanied by a certificate of design compliance, issued by a private Building Surveyor, and can be made for any class of building and incidental structure. The Shire has 10 business days to decide on a certified application.

Applications for Class 1b and Class 2 to Class 9 buildings must be made as certified applications whereas this is optional for Class 1a and 10 buildings and incidental structures. Information about building classes can be viewed here.

Uncertified Application

An uncertified application is submitted to the Shire without a certificate of design compliance and can only be made for Class 1a and Class 10 buildings and incidental structures.

If you are submitting an uncertified application please be sure to complete this  form and complete this checklist prior to your submission

The Building Surveyor at the Shire will check the proposal and provide a certificate of design compliance. The Shire has 25 business days to decide on an uncertified application.

If you have any questions regarding building applications please contact or telephone 9826 1008.